What she specialises inNatalia specialises in taxation including advising on Russian and international taxation. She provides support during tax audits, represents clients when tax disputes are resolved at the pre-trail stage and in courts, conducts tax audits and creates systems for tax risk and asset management that cover tax and other (including corporate, contractual, customs, IP, antimonopoly and property) aspects.
Natalia provides legal support to companies in the TMT (telecom, media and technologies) sector. This includes searching for and offering legal solutions for business tasks, implementing new products taking account of special aspects of industry regulation, formalising solutions from the legal standpoint, advising on industry-specific matters and analysing legal consequences and risks arising when projects are implemented.
Her main achievementsNatalia's major tax projects include, among others:
- litigated in court for major Russian companies, including those with foreign capital, in 60 tax disputes, winning 55 of them, in which a total of RUB 7.05 billion of additional tax had been charged (excluding the default interest and fines);
- represented clients at the pre-trial stage in 34 tax disputes;
- represented clients in tax litigations in the Russian Supreme State Commercial Court (the lawsuits were resolved in the taxpayers’ favour);
- provided legal support during tax audits in 5 large projects;
- managed projects connected with creating systems to manage the companies’ tax risks and assets (including preparing a tax risk map);
- structured international groups of companies taking account of Russian and foreign tax legislation, double taxation treaties, the OECD model convention and commentaries to it, as well as trends in Russian tax case law;
- structured cross-border transactions taking account of tax matters;
- managed comprehensive projects that included corporate, commercial, tax, IP and other aspects;
- has been advising for 12 years on different tax matters.
- created and for 10 years has been a moderator of a specialised tax venue for tax experts in the TMT sector;
- provided legal support in 4 projects to bring unique high technology products (communication service providers and vendors; communication service providers and car manufacturers; communication service providers and banks, payment systems and distributors as well as communication service providers and IT integrators);
- provided legal support in projects to assist two communication service providers in obtaining documentation for spectrum licences;
- prepared a legal position for litigations with the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology, and Mass Media, Ministry of Communications and Mass Media and the State Commission for Radio Frequencies;
- has been advising for 10 years companies of the telecommunications sector (communication service providers, IT companies, vendors, service providers and broadcasters) on different regulatory matters (licencing, documentation for spectrum licences, the Law Enforcement Support System, classification of the companies’ activities from the standpoint of legislation on telecommunications, information security and other matters);
- provided legal support in a project connected with a major Kazakhstan communication service provider using LTE technologies in accordance with Kazakh legislation on telecommunications;
- provided legal support in a project for constructing a cross-border passage (a fibre optic communication line) between Russia and a foreign state;
- staged special events for companies in the TMT industry;
- conducted training events for the staff of the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications.
What they sayThe Legal 500 and Chambers Europe wrote in 2014 and 2015: “Sources report that Natalia Ivaschenko is “very experienced” and commend her “clear and straightforward” approach” (Chambers Europe, 2015).
“Pepeliaev Group’s TMT practice is headed by the “excellent” Natalia Ivashchenko” (Legal 500, 2015).
“The head of telecoms Natalia Ivaschenko is singled out for her “strong industry knowledge”, and is regarded as “an expert in telecoms law” and as “an open-minded professional in mass media”” (Legal 500, 2014).
“Clients describe Natalia Ivaschenko as “very organised, efficient and involved”” (Chambers Europe, 2014).