Criminal law defence of business
The broad horizons of our attorneys in Russian criminal law, allied with their extensive practical experience, allow them to successfully solve complex and non-standard problems when we represent and defend the shareholders, executives and employees of clients in the context of a criminal trial (avoiding or minimising any risk of criminal liability).
Pepeliaev Group’s lawyers help clients in solving specific business tasks:
- to prevent the destruction of a business as a result of criminal prosecution, in particular when investigative bodies have used prohibited methods of investigation, possible abusive practices, and illegal and excessive coercion;
- to prevent competitors from using criminal procedure to gain access to the client’s confidential information;
- to maintain a business-friendly environment among the staff members during state control and coercive procedures, to minimise the risks of panic among the staff caused by these procedures;
- to prevent additional “extra-procedural” costs from growing owing to intimidation, threats and blackmail, which some malevolent officials use.
Legal support for criminal law and criminal procedure law issues
- Assessing criminal law risks
- Advising on criminal law and criminal procedure law issues
- Devising the legal position in a case, defining the strategy and tactics of further steps
- Defending the client’s interests before law enforcement authorities
- Challenging the acts and omissions of law enforcement officers
- Defending the interests of the client (its managers and employees) before courts of general jurisdiction
- Appealing against court decisions to higher courts
- Reviewing and summarising the practice of applying criminal and criminal procedure legislation; participating in the development and discussion of legislative initiatives.