What he specialises in
Sergey specialises in the matters that relate to safeguarding entrepreneurs’ rights from unlawful administrative and criminal prosecution applying tools of social and state agencies for the protection of the right of business.
He advises clients on preventing and counteracting hostile takeover attempts on their businesses including corporate and B2B conflicts in which state authorities are involved. Sergey is an expert in anti-corruption compliance.
He provides expert support in legislative drafting activities to build a legal position to change the regulatory environment for the client’s benefit.
His key achievements
Sergey has more than 16 years of professional experience which includes:
- Direct involvement in establishing the institution of an ombudsman for entrepreneurs' rights and developing the methodological foundations that underpin the institution’s operations (the Red Button Project of the Agency for Strategic Initiatives, Federal Law 78-FZ dated 7 May 2013).
- Coordinating the activities of the Business against Corruption centre, a strategic expert platform for the Entrepreneurs’ Rights Ombudsman, which helped to safeguard the rights of more than 1,500 entrepreneurs.
- Participating in preparing the Annual Report to the President on Observing Entrepreneurs' Rights. Sergey has co-initiated a number of laws in the field of the protection of entrepreneurs' rights, including the ‘economic amnesty’ initiative, the ‘amnesty of capital’, as well as changes to the Russian Civil Code, the Russian Criminal Code and the Russian Criminal Procedure Code to benefit business in 2013 through 2017.
- Participating as a permanent member in the Interagency Taskforce for the Protection of the Rights of Entrepreneurs for the Russian General Prosecutor's Office.
- Conducting anti-corruption audits and implementing anti-corruption standards and compliance procedures for Rostec and Gazprom.
- Acting as an expert of the Council of Europe within the framework of the PRECOP project: Protection of the Rights of Entrepreneurs in the Russian Federation from Corrupt Practices.
- Providing full legal support to large holding structures.
He has extensive experience in drafting laws and in interacting with legislative authorities at all levels including on proposed legislation in the field of regulatory issues relevant to the criminal law protection of business, to regulatory and supervisory activities, and to administrative law.
Alongside representatives from the business community and state authorities, Sergey is helping to counteract corruption as a member of the working group for the Presidium of the Presidential Council for counteracting corruption.
Sergey received training within the framework of the seminar “Compliance in the Eurasian Economic Union” organised by the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA), Vienna.