What he specialises inIlya specialises in corporate and contract law. For over 20 years, he has advised Russian and non-Russian clients on various matters arising when they invest in Russia, M&A transactions, commercial and contract law and on antimonopoly regulation (including asset acquisitions, restructurings, the formation of joint ventures, and complex structuring of contractual relationships in Russia)
His main achievementsIlya has led and been directly involved in a whole range of projects completed for Russian and international companies, of which the following are the most significant:
- full-fledged legal support for the launch on the Russian market of Skamol A/S, a leading European producer of insulation solutions, including representing the client in purchasing production facilities in Russia and setting up a joint venture in the context of an integrated restructuring of acquired assets and the subsequent buyout of the minority shareholder’s membership interest in the joint venture;
- represented a major transnational producer of pharmaceuticals and consumer goods in a transaction to acquire a business to distribute OTC drugs from an Indian company in Russia, CIS countries and certain other jurisdictions (a total of 14 jurisdictions);
- represented a private equity fund with a long track record of being active in Russia in a number of transactions to invest in companies in Russia, including support in transactions under which key portfolio companies of the fund acquired new companies and assets;
- represented Harry's CIS LLC (the Russian branch of Barilla Group) in connection with the sale to a Russian investor of a number of production assets in the Russian region of Bashkortostan, which included: ensuring that all transaction documents were drafted; providing support during lengthy negotiations; and closing the transaction;
- acted for large companies engaged in car manufacturing, telecoms, the media and IT, drafting and implementing for them specific contracts or contractual models to handle ongoing business matters or implement new projects in Russia, including in connection with the expansion and restructuring of business;
- has been directly involved in and managed projects that involved conducting antitrust audits of major Russian and multinational pharmaceutical and energy companies, as well as companies in the consumer sector.
What they sayLarge corporate practice now raising its reputation in the area of M&A transactions (Chambers Europe).
Lawyers of the corporate practice “provide pragmatic recommendations based on their knowledge of the local specifics” (Chambers Europe)
The clients invariably describe the performance of the lawyers they interacted with as ”excellent” and ”impeccable” (IFLR).
“Detailed analysis and client-oriented” (Chambers Europe).
IFLR 1000 experts have commended Ilya Bolotnov as a “consummate professional, [offering services at a] reasonable cost and good insights into how M&A is done in Russia.” (IFLR).