Tax law and tax disputes
The tax practice is one of the key practice areas at Pepeliaev Group. More than 50 lawyers including 12 partners at our firm deal with the issues of analysing tax risks and minimising them.
Pepeliaev Group’s tax expertise is considered to be among the very front rank in Russia. Independent ratings and international publications have acknowledged this on numerous occasions, recommending our lawyers as ‘outstanding specialists’.
We offer our clients a wide range of services and ensure an integrated approach to handling issues that arise in a company’s day-to-day operations and strategic decision-making.
Advising in the following areas
- Legislation on controlled foreign companies (CFCs) and deoffshorisation
- Transfer pricing
- Tax support in a company’s and in a group’s day-to-day operations
- Taxation of mineral resource use
- Administrative and judicial practice with respect to profit tax, VAT, corporate property tax, tax on securities transactions, etc.
- International taxation
- Taxation in the context of investment activity
- Tax audit
- Advising individuals on taxation issues, drafting and submitting tax returns
- Providing support during field and desk tax audits as well as audits with respect to compliance with the transfer pricing rules
- Challenging the results of field and desk tax audits
- Settling disputes in and out of court Providing support during negotiations with tax authorities with respect to entering into a settlement agreement
- Protecting the client’s interests in disputes regarding whether a tax benefit is justified and whether the taxpayer has acted in good faith
- Having the costs of legal representation and other court costs reimbursed
- Participating in proceedings to have tax paid in excess reimbursed
- Conducting cases relating to VAT refunds
- Defending clients when the legislation on criminal liability is applied
Tax registration of foreign companies providing electronic services to individuals and legal entities
- Assistance with determining whether a company is required to be registered with the Russian tax authority
- Help with registering a foreign company with the Federal Tax Service
- Help with calculating tax and preparing a tax return
- Filing a VAT return with the tax authority through the taxpayer’s personal account or through the operator of an electronic document management system
- Representing the client before the tax inspectorate, which includes preparing answers to the requests of tax authorities
- Clarifying the effective rules of all branches of legislation with respect to foreign companies’ activities in Russia