What he specialises in
Rustem's professional interests include international taxation and the application of legislation concerning controlled foreign companies.
His main achievementsRustem’s major projects include:
- participated in preparing draft laws, particularly amendments to legislation connected with holding the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi in 2014;
- represented Far-Eastern Shipping Company in the Russian Constitutional Court with its appeal of provisions in article 165 of the Russian Tax Code;
- participated and managed a project to develop agreements and justify intra-group expenses for a major American FMCG company;
- represented Total in the Supreme Commercial (‘Arbitration’) Court in a case on a PSA operator’s right to refund VAT;
- represented JTI in the Supreme Commercial (‘Arbitration’) Court in a case on whether intra-group expenses for licence payments were justified.
Rustem has authored numerous articles on topical tax issues and is a co-author of the Tax Law textbook edited by Sergey G. Pepeliaev (2000, 2003 and 2015 editions).
What they sayClients describe Rustem Ahmetshin as “a well-known local expert with strong experience on the Russian market who always delivers what we need” (Chambers Europe).
Rustem Ahmetshin acts on tax litigation mandates, particularly those with cross-border aspects (Chambers Global).